Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Appeal

After the sentencing hearing on April 27th  2012, the justice department  told us the killer WOULD not-COULD not get out of  Jail before 2019.

Nothing in life as certain as uncertainty

A few weeks ago, however my wife and I  were informed that the criminal who killed our son appealed his conviction.  As the criminal allocuted and signed a confession admitting to the crime in court, the only way the agreement could be vacated was by : 1- coercion, and or 2- he didn't know what he was doing.

The chances were slim his allocution and sentence would be overturned.  I wonder how certain THAT is.

As a witness, along with my wife, and many others present to the proceedings, this claim is of course false on both counts. As the sun rises in the east, so is the certainty he  killed our son.  I suppose prison isn't much fun.  Certainly not as much fun as drinking, driving, and acting with savage reckless abandon.  But then, I haven't had the chance to ask my son, since he passed away, how he felt about being stuck in the grave for the rest of what would have been his natural life. I believe he is now in God's paradise, along with his grandparents, and those who knew him in this life, and have passed on.

Maybe someday, he will answer me when I visit with him at his grave. Someday, maybe I will see my beloved  in my dreams.

The criminal got the better end of this deal by quite a stretch. My son, however cannot appeal his sentence.

There is no early release from death.

Another year of waiting, and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment